4-Week Residential Sleep Disorder Treatment
Finally get a good night's sleep at Paracelsus Recovery.
Our state-of-the-art sleep disorder treatment programmes are holistic and all-encompassing. Our team of experts and somnologists will effectively determine the exact root causes of your sleep issues and help you address every one of them.
Sleep Disorder Treatment at Paracelsus Recovery
Because our treatment programmes are individually tailored to each unique client, we can help you address every health issue related to your lack of sleep – from the physical side effects to the mental, behavioural and even cellular consequences.
We treat only one client at a time, which means our multidisciplinary team of 15+ doctors focuses exclusively on you.
Sleep is essential to every process in the body, affecting our physical and mental functioning the next day, our ability to fight disease and develop immunity, and our metabolism and chronic disease risk. However, 1 in 3 adults does not sleep an adequate amount every night, with some estimates showing that nearly 50% of us struggle with some sort of sleep issue.
That's why we created a state-of-the-art sleep hygiene treatment programme. We will tailor-make your sleep care plan to ensure it addresses all your unique ailments in a full 360-degree analysis of your health and wellbeing. To do this, we conduct an extensive medical check-up, psychiatric evaluation, comprehensive laboratory tests, a functional health assessment, nutrition, and lifestyle assessment. During that period, we will conduct an elaborate sleep study that includes:
- Polysomnography Tests: Comprehensive test that records your brain waves, the oxygen level in your blood, heart rate and breathing and eye/leg movements while you are sleepin
- Electroencephalography Tests: Measures electrical activity in the brain during sleep via electrodes attached to the scalp.
- Multiple Sleep Latency Tests: Observational study during which the client is given 4-5 opportunities to sleep every two hours during normal wake times. Conducted to determine the presence of narcolepsy, insomnia, and excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia).
With this information, we can work together (i.e., with the client) to create a comprehensive and individually tailored care plan that will restore your health on a physical, psychological, and cellular level.
The residential sleep hygiene treatment programme takes four weeks, and our team will work 8 – 12 hours daily with you. We can also provide aftercare services if deemed necessary.
I. Physical Health Restoration
- Our diet has a profound impact on our circadian rhythm. Our Michelin-star chef and dietitian team will tailor-make a nutrient-dense plan to replenish any lab-identified inflammatory or immune system-related issues.
- Studies show that meal timing exerts a powerful influence over our physiological rhythms, so we will also ensure you eat at the ideal time for your body clock.
- Your schedule will also contain regular meditation periods, healing massage therapies and other body therapies like acupuncture that can help increase melatonin production and a state of relaxation.
- Research shows that exercise is a powerful aid in improving the quality of your sleep. At Paracelsus Recovery, you will work with some of the world's leading fitness instructors to help create a long-term daily exercise routine that works for you.
- If deemed necessary, we will also provide clients with an assistive breathing device or a dental guard, depending on symptoms and conditions. Our physiotherapist can also teach you various physical therapies that have been shown to help encourage sleep.
Emotional Health Restoration
- Chronic stress is a leading cause of sleep issues worldwide, so we will include various stress-resilience techniques in your programme. For example, our psychological team might provide psychoeducation so you can learn the tools and skills neede to handle stress effectively. While it will naturally depend on your personality and preferences, these exercises range from breathwork, mantras and meditation.
- You will work with a specialised psychotherapist who will help you process any emotional distress contributing to the sleep issue. For example, suppose you suffer from insomnia. In that case, we recommend a certain amount of cognitive-behavioural therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) sessions to help you overcome various belief systems and stressors related to the condition.
- If you have experienced any traumas in your life that are contributing to the sleep issue, we can also provide EMDR sessions to help you confront and overcome those challenges. Suppose you have developed any substance abuse dependencies or other mental health issues during the progression of your sleep disorder. In that case, our psychological team will also tackle these issues using treatment modalities specific to those conditions.
- A live-in therapist will also be available to provide you with emotional support 24/7. They will help you implement the tools you acquire in your psychology sessions and help you address any underlying emotional difficulties.
- If deemed necessary, our psychiatrist will also recommend various prescription medications to help you sleep. However, in our experience, prescription medications are a 'last resort as they tend to only fuel sleep issues even more (except in cases of narcolepsy). If medication is deemed necessary, we will try holistic options first, such as CBD or melatonin supplements.
Cellular Health Restoration
- One Client at a Time
At Paracelsus Recovery, we only ever treat one client at any given time. We do this to provide our clients with absolute confidentiality and care. By focusing an entire team's attention and care on you and your needs, we can provide the most comprehensive treatment in the world.
- Bespoke Clinical Residence
We treat clients in exclusive surroundings with absolute privacy and discretion. Our in-patient treatment programmes typically last four to eight weeks, depending on your specific needs. We also offer one-week Executive Detox programmes.
- Tailor-Made to You.
For treatment to be successful, we believe it needs to be tailored to your specific needs. To achieve that, we use a multidisciplinary approach (our 360-degree treatment model) to address each underlying issue, not just the symptoms of the sleep disorder. A thorough assessment is carried out to identify these imbalances, and we design an individual treatment programme based on the results of those tests.
We provide sleep disorder treatment in Zurich, Geneva, and London. Please get in touch today to learn more about how we can help you find that much-needed rest.
Exercise, cognitive behaviour therapy, and relaxation therapy are recommended as effective, nonpharmacologic treatments for chronic insomnia. Melatonin is effective in patients with circadian rhythm sleep disorders and is safe when used in the short term.
It depends on the condition in question. For example, there is no real cure for sleep apnea, but you can significantly reduce symptoms with adequate support and care. On the other hand, insomnia is curable. REM sleep disorder is also curable, while narcolepsy is less so.
Tips for practising good sleep hygiene include only going to bed when sleepy (engaging in a relaxing activity until then), developing rituals that aid nighttime relaxation, avoiding the use of all electronic devices before bedtime, cutting down on nicotine, caffeine and alcohol, making your bedroom a restful place, and getting out of bed if you are not asleep after 20/30 minutes (in so doing you can train your body to think of the bed as a place where one falls asleep).
Ideally, the programme would be one-month minimum. However, in some instances, we can tailor the programme to a period that suits you.
Absolutely. If you are struggling with sleep issues as a side-effect of another mental health or well-being condition, we will include varying degrees of sleep hygiene support in your treatment programme. Alternatively, if your dependency or condition is a side-effect of a sleep issue, we would tailor the programme more heavily to sleep while also including treatment for that original concern.