Eating disorders treatment center
At Paracelsus Recovery, we have extensive experience in successfully treating eating disorders. Eating disorders are complex because they are not all about food. Instead, an eating disorder involves a number of related issues stemming from physical, psychological, and neurobiological roots. Our treatment programs are uniquely designed to identify and treat each of these underlying factors.
Eating disorder treatment
Eating disorders are complex mental health conditions that involve a number of related problems including obsessive behavior and a distorted self-image. A person’s unhealthy relationship with food can become a coping mechanism for painful emotions, life events, traumas, stress or numerous other challenges that they feel are out of their control. Unless the underlying issues that lead to the eating disorder are addressed, treatment will not be successful.
At Paracelsus Recovery, we provide comprehensive, exclusive, and individualized eating disorder treatment. Treating one client at a time, we address both the physical and psychological symptoms. We will repair the damage done to the body and equally importantly tackle the underlying issues that led to the eating disorder in the first place.
Our residential eating disorder program will normally last for four to eight weeks. It is designed to help you develop a healthy relationship with food as well as identify and manage any triggers that led to the eating disorder. Different therapeutic approaches increase self-awareness, heal shame and guilt, and increase self-esteem.
Eating disorders are one of the most challenging mental health conditions to treat and most people with eating disorders don’t recover without help. The goal of our treatment program is to help you find a way of eating and living that does not involve self-destructive behavior. To achieve this goal, we will address the symptoms of your eating disorder and provide the tools needed to regain control over your eating habits. We also recommend ongoing aftercare to support long-term recovery.
Eating disorder rehabilitation
- Our first step is to conduct a thorough 360-degree assessment which includes a psychiatric evaluation to identify any co-occurring mental health conditions, a comprehensive physical and medical check-up, and a functional medical assessment. Once we have completed these tests, we will create a unique treatment program that can restore your health on a physical, psychological, and social level.
- During treatment, we provide numerous hours of specialized psychotherapy utilizing a range of therapeutic techniques to address your specific emotional difficulties. For example, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) are effective treatments for eating disorders so we often incorporate these into the treatment plans to create positive changes in your thinking patterns and beliefs.
- You will be assigned a live-in therapist who will stay in the same residence as you and be available 24x7 for support and guidance.
- Anyone with an eating disorder will lack essential nutrients, which leads to increased cravings, fatigue, and a weakened immune system. We provide expert nutritional and lifestyle counseling to address these issues and restore your health.
- We will also provide in-depth biochemical restoration to restore essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and all other essential nutrients that the body requires.
- We provide extensive complementary therapies including yoga, massage, and acupuncture.
- Whenever appropriate, we will provide joint family psychoeducation during treatment as family dynamics can play a key role in the development of an eating disorder. Once the treatment program is complete, we can implement an extensive aftercare plan.
We can provide treatment for eating disorders in our clinic in Zurich and in London.