Intensive treatment for sex & love addiction
At most treatment centers, sex and love addiction treatments are put in the same bracket. At Paracelsus Recovery, while we recognize the overlap between the two, we identify and address each as a separate issue that may be contributing to emotional distress. We will provide numerous psychotherapeutic techniques that directly address your relationship with sex and your relationship with intimacy.
Sex and love addiction treatment
Sex and love addictions occur when an individual repeatedly experiences obsessive feelings or fantasies towards others that they feel compelled to pursue irrespective of the negative consequences. Both sex and love addiction are often rooted in a childhood experience of neglect, sexual abuse, or traumatic emotional abandonment which can be extremely painful.
It is common for these issues to occur alongside other behavioral addictions, substance abuse issues, and codependency. In both, one finds the same battle for self-control, distorted thinking patterns, and loneliness. At Paracelsus Recovery, we provide cutting-edge, in-depth, and specialized treatment for these issues.
Our sex addiction treatment program uses a unique, holistic approach that treats the entire person – body, mind, and soul. During treatment, you will work closely with our team of highly skilled psychiatrists, psychotherapists, doctors, functional medicine specialists, and live-in therapists to tackle all possible biological, psychological, and social factors that have contributed to your sex addiction.
During love addiction treatment, we will help you rebuild your self-esteem, set appropriate boundaries, and develop realistic expectations of partners and relationships. We provide specialized psychotherapy to help you address past issues of neglect, abandonment, and trauma, as well as underlying problems such as addiction, eating disorders, and anxiety or depression. We do so to ensure that your love addiction treatment is sustainable and your recovery is long-lasting.
We provide treatment for love and sex addictions in both London and Zurich.
“The instinct that drives compulsion is universal. It is an attempt to solve the problem of disconnection, alienation, tepid despair... the problem is ultimately 'being human'."
360-Degree Treatment Approach - The most extensive and comprehensive treatment worldwide.
and Reprocessing (EMDR)
1. Sex Addiction
Sex is an essential part of a healthy, loving relationship but because it floods the brain with feel-good chemicals, it has the potential to become addictive. Sex addiction is characterized as the compulsive need to perform sexual acts to achieve the same kind of ‘fix’ that a person with substance abuse dependency achieves with their drug of choice.
Symptoms of sex addiction include
- Failing to reduce or stop unhealthy sexual activities despite wanting to.
- Sexual activity continues despite the potential for emotional or physical harm it may cause to both the individual and other people.
- Excessive use of pornography, sex chat lines, or webcams.
- Unhealthy sexual activities as a response to boredom anxiety, stress, or depression.
- The time spent in sexual activities or fantasies interferes with work, social activities, or commitments to loved ones.
2. Sexual Anorexia
Sexual anorexia can also be classified under sexual addiction. In sexual anorexia, the individual compulsively avoids giving or receiving sexual/emotional nourishment. The fixation on sexual avoidance is often a reaction to a fear of sexuality.
Symptoms of sexual anorexia include
- A dread of sexual pleasure.
- Distortions of body appearance and loathing of body functions.
- Obsessional self-doubt about sexual adequacy.
- Shame and self-loathing over sexual experiences.
- Self-destructive behavior to limit or avoid sex.
3. Love Addiction
Individuals who suffer from love addiction struggle to form an identity outside of their relationships. Love addiction causes an individual to idolize their romantic partner as the person/object that will ‘fix’ them. They will enter into a relationship very suddenly, often avoiding pain or responsibility in other areas of their lives. They can associate loneliness with abandonment which leads an individual to either stay in highly abusive relationships or sometimes simultaneously engage in numerous sexual/emotional relationships.
Symptoms of love addiction include
- Committing to and falling in love with a partner without really knowing them.
- Never feeling satisfied within a relationship but feeling empty when they are alone.
- Idealizing and pursuing others, then blaming them for not fulfilling their fantasies of perfection.
- Using emotional dependency as a substitute for authentic care.
- Using sex and emotional involvement to manipulate and control other people.
4. Love Avoidance
We experience love avoidance when we have an aversion to intimate relationships with other people. People with love avoidance can struggle to trust others and often destroy a relationship if it feels like it is becoming intimate.
Symptoms of love avoidance include
- Using anger, abuse, or criticism to keep people at a comfortable distance.
- Finding yourself angry and avoidant with people when they show concern for you.
- Need constant validation from friends and family members.
- Avoiding vulnerability or intensity in a relationship but finding it in substance abuse or behavioral addictions.
- Frequently engaging in casual sex but becoming distant when the relationship turns serious.
Deciding to go to rehab for love addiction is never an easy or clear-cut decision. If you suffer from severe depression after breakups or find the idea of being alone frightening to the point where being in an abusive relationship seems like a better alternative, it may be time to seek help for love addiction. While love addiction is a difficult issue, it is treatable with adequate support.
Sex addiction occurs when sexual activities are excessive and interfere with other areas of life. Sex addiction can cause great emotional pain, heartache, and loss to the sufferer and their loved ones. If you find yourself constantly engaging in sexual activities despite not wanting to and these acts are harming yourself or others, it is worthwhile to receive specialized treatment to improve the quality of your life, relationships, and emotional wellbeing.
Emotional neglect, childhood trauma, or sexual abuse are often cited as causes of sex and love addiction. They tend to go hand-in-hand with mental health conditions such as narcissism, codependency, and substance abuse.
Sex addiction and love addiction are both rooted in intimacy issues. An individual in the thralls of sex addiction will struggle to connect with other people because they are preoccupied with sexual acts. A person struggling with love addiction will struggle to create long-lasting bonds because they are preoccupied with the idealized perfect fantasy of love.
Paracelsus Recovery provides sex and love addiction treatment in London and Zurich.